Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Urban Harvest Fruit Sale

I convinced the wife to come with me to Houston for this big sale. Last year they sold about 8000 trees in a few hours. We showed up about 15 minutes early but the line was already about 1/4 mile long. We purchased two Avocado (one for my dentist), three Kumquat and one Persimmon. I wasnt able to get one of the low chill Cherries as they sold out asap.




The line to get out was just as long and twice as slow. It snaked around in circles and through a stadium at the University of Houston.





Finally we got out of there and Katinka was happy it was done.



Little did I know I would be taken around town hitting craft stores and estate sales. We ended up in small towns trying to get deals on junk and treasure. We also stopped at the Matt Family Orchard and had a nice personal tour of the place. It was a nice day even with the rain.

2 comments:

  1. You should consider trying the Fort Bend County Master Gardener Tree Sale. It is in Rosenberg, TX (77471)

    They have most of the trees offered by Urban Harvest of Houston.

    The FBCMG Annual Fruit Tree Sale will be held on February 12, 2011, from 9:00 am-1:00 pm. Join us for our Pre Sale Talk to learn about the Trees from 8:00 am - 9:00 am. The linked list of trees to be sold is preliminary and is subject to change.
    http://www.fbmg.com/CommunityEducation/FruitSales/Fruit2011/2011_FTS_Plants_for_Sale.pdf

    What type of Avocado did you pick? I am interested in how it turns out. Don't they need a pollinator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked out the Fantastic Avocado. I already had the Wilma and Opal. They are all supposedly hardy to 14F but I show damage on them around 17F. I believe they have large die off but recover at 14F. I believe that they are somewhat self fertile but a pollinizer is best. Wilma is blooming right now which is horrible since it was 17F last night.

    Thanks for the info on the sale. I might have to trick my wife into another trip.

    ReplyDelete