Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Why urban farming?

I promise I am going to start adding pics and plant names soon.

So why do I urban farm and why should you?

1. Poisons SUCK!!!!
Once I started researching the fruit industry, I found that the fruit is just covered in pesticides, dyes and even injected with flavors. Why would you inject the perfect creation with other flavors? Also, the GMOs are already in the fruit industry and will only be getting worse. Those Papayas they sell at the store are more than likely GMO.

2. I like eating fresh, delicious, organic fruit. It tastes better and that is enough.

3. When you grow something yourself, it is a very good feeling.

4. I can actually make money. Did you know that a Pear tree can make between 100-400 pounds of fruit a year. That fruit costs about 3 bucks a pound at a farmers market. If you could plant about 20 Pear trees in aound the edge of your yard, that would be between 2000-8000 pounds a year or 6,000 - 24,000 dollars. That would be under perfect conditions and would take years to achieve but once those trees are established, there isnt that much maintenance.

5. Sticking it to the man. Any chance I can break my dependence from corporate America, I do it. Everyone is concerned about the government running our lives while the large corporations have already done it. We are slaves to the machine but we dont have to be. STOP THE CYCLE OF DEPENDENCE.
Grow your own food, get solar panels and collect rainwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment